Aiming to turn into the sustainable society in harmony with the environment, we develop personnel who contribute to society through study and practicals related to foods, agriculture, environment and life sciences.
Professor Harukazu Fukami
Now it has become an urgent issue to solve global warming and food problems, realization of the environment where people and various living things can cohabit (bio-environment) has become a common goal around the world. Advanced nations, including Japan are concerned with a low birthrate and a graying population, and “health” has become a keyword with greater focus.
The Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science aims to offer solutions by approaching the issues of “environment” and “health” from such aspects as life, food, agriculture and environmental design.
As the Kameoka area, where our campus is located, has abundant nature and biodiversity and agriculture flourishes, it can be said that it is the best environment for education and research of a bio-environment. We conduct projects that address original product development, including production, processing and sales of agricultural products in collaboration with people engaged in local agriculture and food processing. I would like students to acquire a practical and professional ability related to the bio-environment being utilized in society.
What you can study at the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science
We pursue the advanced fields of bio-environment with three departments and six courses. The Department of Agriculture and Food Technology, offers practical study production of agricultural products and food processing, the Department of Bioenvironmental Design, aims to understand and utilize living organism activities in the environment and the Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, investigates the functions of life at the molecular level. Various research laboratories challenge realization of “bio-environment” through their own perspectives from academic pursuits at the micro level, practical research to design requiring a broad perspective.
I conducted wild grass observations throughout the Kansai district and I could find the theme which I really wanted to study.
Most classes include field studies. I was interested in freshwater fish just after I entered the University, however, I was attracted to wild grass observation in a “tree medicine” course and I am now studying and focusing on grasses and trees (grasses). I participated in field burning in Yogocho, Shiga. asking my instructor at the Department and conduct research on the impact of field burning on grasses and trees. I also wrote an article on “extermination of invasive alien species (grasses and trees) and their use” and I mainly concentrate my efforts on the study of field research.
To develop human resources as described in this faculty’s educational goals, we seek students who can understand this faculty’s educational goals; who can study with strong motivation and independence; and who are equipped with the basic academic abilities acquired through their high school curriculum, the power to utilize those basic academic abilities, and the skills to communicate with other people.
- Knowledge and skills
- We seek students who are interested in the fields of research and education of the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science, and who are eager to study chemistry, biology, and natural science.
- · We seek students who have basic academic abilities to acquire knowledge of and techniques for the specialized fields of the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science.
- Ability to think, to judge, and to express oneself
- We seek students who are interested in, and have a willingness to observe, understand, and clarify nature and natural phenomena.
- Attitude toward learning independently and in cooperation with a wide variety of people
- We seek students who have experience of moving forward with a project in cooperation with other people such as in regional partnerships.
- We seek students who have a willingness to participate in cooperative projects such as in regional partnerships.