Study “mind” and acquire the ability to support people.
Psychology is the study that captures the mind and behavior scientifically and there are a variety of approaches from brain functions to deep layers of the mind. We will study and practice “clinical psychology” which embraces people who have problems in the mind and support solutions for them. Based on works as a clinical psychotherapist at a general hospital for over 20 years, I offer instruction so as to convey a clinical sense in the field. We offer instruction not only for clinical psychotherapists but also on learning knowledge and skills for support for others required by staff of child welfare facilities and elderly welfare facilities, looking hard at various future courses. I hope you will experience the difficulty and joy of supporting the mind and life of people.
Faculty of Humanities, Department of Psychology
Professor, Katsuhiko Kubo
Professor Takashi Kawabata
To acquire the ability to observe the “mind” from various perspectives and understand humanity scientifically
The “mind” is deeply related to various behaviors of people. However, such behaviors and “mind” do not always look in the same direction. Within the Department, spotlight will be placed on the state of the “mind” from a broad range of fields, including psychology and sociology of cognition, development, society and clinical, to re-interpret human relationships around us and activities in society and learn perspectives and knowledge to build up better human relationships in society. For example, my seminar tours several social welfare facilities every year. The exchanges between workers and users are precious opportunities for students to experience the method of psychology and sociology and the necessity of support for people. There are not a few students who work as counselors and staffs to support people after graduation.
Features of Department
- To understand the mind and behavior of people scientifically and acquire psychology useful for social life and “field” of work.
- To deepen the understanding of the mind through experiments, practical training and classes, using a variety of experimental equipment.
- To learn sociology understanding the mind and behavior of people from society and skills of communication that will vitalize organizations and regions.
- Students can utilize this knowledge for diverse career options including health, welfare, support to children, communications in companies, market research and public relations, etc.
- Students can acquire the qualification for taking the examination of clinical psychotherapists after completion of the University, Graduate School, Clinical Psychology Course.
How to study with in the Department of Psychology
1st and 2nd year students deepen understanding of basic psychology and peripheral fields. 2nd year students take basic psychology experiment (Practical Projects A and B) courses and basic social communication practices (Practical Project C) and learn the method of psychology skills and knowledge necessary for associations with communities. After the 3rd year, students acquire practical ability by studying methods related to people support, vitalization of communities by studying advanced experimental and exercise subjects.
Analyze the relationship between mind and behavior
Handle analysis of objective data obtained by utilizing experimental equipment and understand connections between movement of the mind and action. We aim to scientifically investigate human psychology.
Clinical Psychology Course
Learn skills of support for people
Students learn counseling methods, etc., related to people with various problems from the aspect of the human mind. Study tours in which students visit local educational institutions and social welfare facilities are enhanced.
Social Communication Course
To acquire the ability to be involved with society
To understand the appearance of society objectively through sociology and social research, to become actively involved with society through field work and acquire the ability to support regions and organizations.
A variety of equipment deepening understanding of the mind –Psychology Experiment Environment-
The 1st floor of Yushinkan, Kyoto Kameoka Campus, is fully equipped with machines and devices, where behavior observation using magic mirrors, brain wave measurements, eyeball movement measurements using an eye-mark recorder and network experiments can be conducted and student study methods of measurement and analysis of objective data. A psychological education counseling room is available at the Kyoto Uzumasa Campus to provide such professional support as counseling and play therapy.
Cognitive Psychology Experiment Room
In this room, the mysteries of memory and cognitive mechanisms of humanity are investigated to ascertain what mechanism of mind would cause memory lapses.
Behavior Observation Room
A room where a magic mirror is installed from which the subject cannot see through the mirror from the inside and we observe the natural behavior of people.
Brain Wave Measurement Room
To utilize for the study of investigating how the brain works. We investigate what part of the brain changes in what way when a person senses something.
Study while being involved with companies and communities – Unique Study-
Based on psychology and sociology, in order to acquire a broader ability as full-fledged members of society, we offer programs where students study while being engaged with the real world. Students study various aspects of modern society and the methods of social research and utilizing the knowledge, students experience field work supporting actual communities and companies. In support for regions and companies, through market research and production of PR media, students develop social research skills and the ability to communicate.
Qualification and Employment
- The Japanese Society of Social Psychology certified Psychologist
- Social Researcher
- Clinical Psychologist
Future Career Options after Graduation
- Advancement to graduate school (clinical psychologist)
- Professional Civil Servants (family court investigator (assistant), legal technical officer, psychologist of children’s counseling center, police technical officer, social worker)
- General civil servants (local government staff, policemen and firefighters, etc.)
- Counselors and instructors at social welfare facilities
- Personnel, planning, research, sales, public relations and advertising departments of private companies
- Various media companies, advertising companies and market research companies, etc.
To develop human resources as described in this department’s educational goals, we seek students who have a clear sense of purpose and passion, basic knowledge regarding curricula and subjects that they completed in high school, Japanese language proficiency through which they can convey their own ideas, a willingness to positively attempt to solve various problems, and attitude toward actively engaging in activities, and toward making efforts for mutual understanding by communicating effectively with others.
- Knowledge and skills
- We seek students who have basic knowledge of subjects that they studied in high school, and who have at least a certain level of reading comprehension and ability to solve problems.
- Ability to think, to judge, and to express oneself
- We seek students who can think deeply about human psychology, behavior, and communications, and who can express their own thoughts.
- Attitude toward learning independently and in cooperation with a wide variety of people
- We seek students who have a strong interest in and concern about psychology and sociology, and who have a strong willingness to independently seek the unknown.
- We seek students who can engage in psychological experiments and presentations in cooperation with a diverse range of people.